Saturday, 16 August 2014

Album Dissection: Nothing Personal by All Time Low

Hello everyone!

A while ago I purchased All Time Low's album 'Nothing Personal' and I promised you all an album dissection.  It's been a few months since I got the album so I am very late with this post, so apologies for that.
I've finally finished this post and I hope that you all enjoy it.  This is only my second attempt at a post like this (again it's an All Time Low album, sorry if you don't really like them) so apologies if it's not that good but I'll try my best to make it interesting.


 

 
Artist:
All Time Low

 
Album:
Nothing Personal

 
Label:
Hopeless Records

 
Released:
2009

 
Track List:
1. Weightless
2. Break Your Little Heart
3. Damned If I Do Ya (Damned If I Don't)
4. Lost In Stereo
5. Stella
6. Sick Little Games
7. Hello Brooklyn
8. Walls
9. Too Much
10. Keep The Change, You Filthy Animal
11. A Party Song (The Walk Of Shame)
12. Therapy

 
Bonus Tracks:
Poison
Weightless (The Secret Handshake remix)
Lost In Stereo (Cobra Starship Suave Suarez Remix)
Dear Maria, Count Me In (Connect Sets Acoustic)
Coffee Shop Soundtrack (Acoustic Remix)
Weightless (On The Road Version) Video

 

 

 
My Dissection (Track by track):

 
 
Weightless

 I personally believe that this song is a perfect opener for this album.  It gives you a great taste for what the rest of the album is like as well as just being a great song.
I heard this song before I got the album so I knew what to expect but, with so many of All Time Low's songs I seem to notice something new with each listen.  This has to be one of my favourite things with any song: whether it be hearing a key change or noticing a slight change in harmonies, and how that might match with the percussion.  I just love hearing something in a song that I hadn't heard before.
This song never fails to put a smile on my face and I particularly love the lead guitar in this song, it's just really freaking good!

 
Break Your Little Heart

 The first version I heard of this song was the live version from the 'Straight To DVD' and I really like this version.  I was a little worried I wouldn't like the studio version because I love the live one so much.  But luckily the studio version didn't disappoint.
My particular favourite things about this song are:
 
- The harmonies -
 I just really love the harmonies in this song and feel like they've vocally been placed really well throughout the entire song.
 
- The mention of the album title 'Nothing Personal' -
 I don't know why but this just makes me very happy.
 
- The middle 8 -
 I really like the middle 8 in this song.  I think the bass line works really well and again, the harmonies are, vocally, very strong.  I also really love the guitar solo.
 
Overall, this has to be one of my favourite songs on the album.
 

Damned If I Do Ya (Damned If I Don't)

If I'm being completely honest, lyrically, I'm not the biggest fan of this song.
But the percussion and the bass guitar in this song have to be what won me over.
When I first heard this song (before I got the album) I really liked it because I didn't really pay that much attention to the lyrics but after a few listens I wasn't too keen on the lyrics.
However, I still like the song, the middle 8 is really good and like I said, I just really love the percussion in the song (Rian Dawson you are extremely talented).

 
Lost In Stereo

 I really, really like this song.  It was one of the first All Time Low songs I heard and one of their first music videos I watched.
Again, the percussion in this song is amazing and I really love the lead guitar too.
There is probably about one lyric that I don't like in this song but apart from that I think this song is really good lyrically (although I'm not sure about the lyrics in the first part of the middle 8).
I really like this song and have a lot of love in particular for the final chorus.  I think it's pretty epic.

Stella

 I think my feelings for this song are pretty similar to that of  'Damned If I Do Ya (Damned If I Don't)' because lyrically I'm not sure it's my favourite.
But as I'm currently listening to it while I type this, I might be changing my mind.
I think the purpose of this song is just to be a fun song, and it definitely is.
Like with 'Lost In Stereo' I really like the final chorus of this song and I quite like the middle 8.
Overall, I think this song is just really fun and energetic.
 
 
Sick Little Games

I don't know how to feel about this song!
I quite like it but sometimes I'm just a little confused lyrically.
I particularly love the bridges in this song.
I also really like the percussion in this song (is anyone else noticing a pattern here?) especially in the middle 8.  I also really like the lead guitar during the middle 8.  And don't even get me started on how much I particularly love the vocals just after the middle 8, Alex Gaskarth, well done.

 
Hello Brooklyn

 I really love this song.
From the start you just know it's gonna be a fun, kick ass song.  And it definitely doesn't fail to deliver.
The lead vocals are particularly good, I really love the middle 8 (again, anyone else maybe sensing a pattern?) and again Rian Dawson has done an insanely good job with the percussion (again, a pattern).
And I personally believe that the ending for this song is really well executed.
 
 
Walls

 For those of you who have the album or have heard this song, does it remind you a little of the super Mario brothers background music?  Or is that just me being weird?
I quite like this song.  Although some of the lyrics aren't for me, it's a catchy song and  then to contradict myself I actually really love some of the lyrics.
It's just a lovely song (although 'lovely' probably isn't what they where aiming for when writing it).

 
Too Much

Aaaarrggghhhh!!!
 I really love this song but at the same time I really don't.  I just feel the vocals have been meddled with too much electronically. 
If I'm honest I feel like the live version from 'Straight To DVD' is the version that really gives this song justice.
I feel that with the studio version there's a really good build up in the verses but the chorus fails to deliver vocally due to the clear electronic tampering.  I think the only chorus which even begins to give the build up any justice is the final chorus.
Lyrically, I wouldn't change anything about this song, I think it's amazing lyrically.
I honestly do have a heck of a lot of love for this song, I just feel it's a lot better on 'Straight To DVD'.
 
 
Keep The Change, You Filthy Animal

 I had never heard this song before I purchased this album and I really wish I had heard it sooner.
I love this song, it's one of my favourites on the album and I'll admit to having played it on repeat for a while, I loved it that much.
I particularly love the added/backing vocals (I'm not sure if this the correct term, sorry) that are added after the main vocals, I also really love the percussion (no surprises there) and it's just really catchy!
I just love how fun this song is!

 
A Party Song (The Walk Of Shame)
 
I adore the transition between 'Keep The Change, You Filthy Animal' and 'A Party Song (The Walk Of Shame)', it's really well done.
I'm not a huge fan of the lyrics but the fun tempo and awesome percussion made me grow a liking for this song.  It's catchy and fun, and I can't help but dance around a little in my head when I hear it (it's that kind of song!)
 

Therapy

 Oh my goodness!
Overall, this album just has 'fun' written all over it.
But then All Time Low have to hit you with the emotional rollercoaster that is 'Therapy'.
Grab your tissues and be prepared to tear up at least a little with every listen.
I have listened to this song so often, before I got the album and still now.
For me, even though this song is different from every other track on the album, I personally feel that 'Therapy' wraps up what 'Nothing Personal' is about. 
I don't want to go into technical details because I feel that this is the type of song you have to give a listen, not read about.
It's raw and heartfelt, one of my favourite songs of all time, forget on the album.

 
Bonus Tracks:

 Poison

'Poison' is the only bonus track I'm going to talk about because I'm not a big fan of remixes but also I have an extreme amount of love for this song.
I love the guitar transitions between the verses and the choruses, the lyrics are really good and again, I just freaking love the percussion.
I particularly love the second verse, mainly for the lyrics and the lead guitar.
One of my favourite All Time Low songs as well as one of my favourites on the album.


 
 
 
Overall, this has to be one of my absolute favourite All Time Low albums (along with Don't Panic!) even though it might not seem that way.
One of my favourite things about this album is that it definitely lives up to its title:
'Nothing Personal'.
I also just love what Rian Dawson has done with the percussion in this album, it's amazing. 
Although that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate what Alex, Zack and Jack done on the album, they done an equally amazing job.
And even though it might not seem it (at least based on certain songs) but I actually really love this album lyrically, certain tracks are amazing lyrically.

It's a fun yet heartfelt album, and even if on first listen it doesn't seem that way, I feel it has a really deep meaning behind it.  I personally feel that All Time Low have done really well with this album.
I feel like I discovered this album at the perfect time for me, so I don't really regret not purchasing it earlier.  I'm glad I got it when I did because it has helped me a lot.


Carolyn
x


 

 
SHARE:
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig