Wednesday, 10 September 2014

Back To School Advice

 
 
Hey everyone!
 
For many of us it's that time of year again, we're going back to school.
I have personally finished high school and just started college so, I thought I'd share some of my tips and tricks to help out with surviving school.
 
 
 Stay organised & prepared  
 
It's important that you keep on top of your work.  When you get homework try your best to do it as soon as you can, otherwise you'll be doing it the night before and that's never a good idea - trust me, this is something I know from experience.
Make sure you have the equipment that you need for your courses and if you don't have the right equipment then find out if you're able to borrow the equipment from someone.
 
 
Don't be scared to ask for help
 
I know that this can be scary.  Whether it's sticking up your hand in class to say your stuck or talking to a teacher about problems your having at home or in school, ask for help.  I really can't stress this one enough. 
As someone who was scared to ask for help from a teacher, I suffered for it later on in class when I had no clue what I was supposed to be doing (this is something I still struggle with now at college).  If you don't understand something that your teacher has said then tell them.  Either put up your hand there and then or you could make a note of what confused you and ask them about it at the end of class.  You might even be able to arrange for extra help outside of class.
 
 
Do subjects you enjoy
 
When choosing your own subjects make sure it's subjects that you either want or need to do.
Do some research as to what you want to do when you leave school and see what subjects you'll require in order to get there.
I know that sometimes you have to do subjects you don't enjoy in order to get into the university, college or job you want to do and this can make it very tedious but try your best to stick it out.
 
 
Bullying
 
I hate bullying. 
It's one of those things that almost everyone has experienced.  Whether you've been bullied, witnessed bullying or even been the bully, everyone's experienced bullying.
If you're experiencing bullying then I want to say that I'm really sorry.  It's a horrible thing to go through, I dealt with bullying for my first few years at high school and it was awful.
The best advice I can give is to try and find someone you can talk to about it, whether it's another pupil, a friend, a relative or a family friend.  Also, try and join some clubs you're interested in so you can make some friends who have the same interests as you.
 
If you know someone is being bullied then do something about it.  Don't just let it happen, it's probably the worst thing you could do.  Tell someone you think can try and prevent the bullying (such as a teacher), maybe befriend the person who is being bullied so they know they're not alone or if you feel you're in a position to do so, then approach the bully about what they're doing.
 
Some organisations you can contact about bullying (whether it's at school or at home) are linked below:
 
 
 
 
 
Revise
 
Make sure you're staying on top of your work and looking over topics you struggle with.  This will make it a lot easier when it comes to revising for both your mock exams and your final exams.  Find a revision technique that works for you and stick to it.  It could be reading your notes out loud, rewriting your work or making flashcards. 
You can read my revision advice post here.
 


 
Please do not feel as though you have to do any of these things, this is just my advice based on my own personal experiences at school.
 
I hope that those of you who are going back to school or starting a new school get on okay.  Just remember that you're not alone, there's other people in the same situation as you or who have been in your position.
Feel free to contact me if you are worried about anything to do with school, I'd be more than happy to help out.
 
 
Carolyn
x

SHARE:
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig