Thursday, 11 December 2014

My Current Album Collection | November 2014

  
Hello everyone!
After letting you all know about what albums are on my wishlist (which you can read here) I thought it would be nice if I talked to you all about some of the albums I currently own.
I won't talk about all the albums I own (we could be here for quite a long time if I did) I'll just talk about some of my favourite ones.

Simple Plan

 
Get Your Heart On!
The band and the album that started it all for me.
I first listened to Simple Plan a few years before I got this album.
I listened to them for a bit when I first heard of them as a band but I wasn't really a 'fan', I just thought the music I'd heard so far was good.
Then at the beginning of last year (I think) I decided to look them up on YouTube (on impulse really) and was reminded why I fell in love with their music in the first place. 
When I was next in HMV I decided to have a bit of a hunt for any of their albums but I couldn't find any. 
I decided to ask one of their staff just in case they had any in storage, luckily for me she managed to find one Simple Plan CD mixed among a bunch of other discs.  I ended up buying 'Get Your Heart On!' and that's when my love for pop punk really started.
I fell in love with this album and was playing it on repeat for ages.  There's a real mixture of songs and it's a very heartfelt album.  I love the variety of emotions that are portrayed in the music and that you can really hear everything that's going on in the music.
The love I have for this album is unbelievable, there's so many amazing songs on this album.


Simple Plan
I actually have two copies of this album; I have the copy I bought for myself and the copy that my friend sent me for Christmas last year.
I really like this album, I like the variety of tempos and messages that are in the songs.  Some of the songs (such as 'When I'm Gone') are some of the first Simple Plan songs that I ever listened too.  These are songs that have stuck with me for a good few years and that I still have a lot of love for now (they also bring back some really good memories for me).
I feel like this really contributes to my love for this album.
There are certain songs on this album (like 'What If' and 'Save You') which just overwhelm me with emotion, as well as a huge sense of appreciation for the music.  I have a lot of appreciation for this album as a whole to be honest, even though there are times where I just skip the songs when my music library is playing on shuffle. 
I think this album really shows who Simple Plan are as a band (although not as well as 'Get Your Heart On!' in my opinion).


Get Your Heart On - The Second Coming!
Before anyone jumps down my throat, I know that this CD is an EP and not an album!  I wanted to talk about it anyway.  I know I've talked about this EP a lot here on my blog, both leading up to its release and when I actually got a copy of the EP.
The EP is made up of some of the songs that were originally written for the 'Get Your Heart On!' album but didn't make the final cut.  As 'Get Your Heart On!' is one of my favourite albums I was so excited that they were releasing an EP to go along with it, although this did mean the end of the Get Your Heart On! chapter for Simple Plan which made me a little upset.
Although there are only seven songs on the EP,  there's still a variety of songs.  But what I really love about this EP is that when you listen to it you just know that it's Simple Plan, it has that distinctive Simple Plan sound to it.  That's what made me really love this EP.



All Time Low



Don't Panic
The love and appreciation that I have for this album is huge, 'Don't Panic!' is basically All Time Low's 'Get Your heart On!' for me.
I got this album for my Christmas last year and I was so excited to finally have my own All Time Low CD. 
I'd listened to the entire album on YouTube already but there's just something more special about actually owning the CD, reading through the CD booklet and listening to your own copy of the album for the first time.
The overall sound of the album is incredible, the tempo throughout the album is brilliant as well.  I also think that 'Reckless and The Brave' is an amazing opener for this album, the music hits you straight away and I can't help but grin when I hear it.
I think the percussion in this album is amazing (hats off to Rian Dawson) and I think the track order is pretty well put together as well.
'Don't Panic' is the sort of album I like to blast really loudly through my headphones and have a party in my head when I hear any of the songs.  I'm really not doing this album justice, it really is an incredible album and I think you need to listen to the album in order to understand this.


So Wrong, It's Right
For a start, the artwork for this album (at least to me anyway) is just really beautiful.  I love the colours used on the CD sleeve and the design of the birds.
When I first bought this album I really wasn't sure about some of the songs (which you can read about more in depth in my album dissection for 'So Wrong, It's Right').
But recently I've been listening to some of the songs more often (such as 'Vegas' and 'The Beach') and I've started to really appreciate these songs more.  Although there are a couple of songs on the album that I'm not the biggest fan of because of some of the lyrics.
There are songs on this album that, individually, I have  a lot of love for (such as 'Poppin' Champagne', 'Six Feet Under The Stars', 'Stay Awake (Dreams Only Last For A Night)' and 'Remembering Sunday') and I think this has helped me to love the album more as a whole.


Nothing Personal
I think my feelings for this album are quite similar to that of my feelings for 'So Wrong, It's Right'.
There are a lot of songs on this album that I really love.  But at the same time there are also a few songs that, lyrically, I'm not really the biggest fan off.  But I think that this album is brilliant instrumentally and, again, there are certain songs on this album that I really have so much love for.
If you want to read about my thoughts on this album in more detail the you can have a look at my album dissection for 'Nothing Personal'.


Put Up Or Shut Up
I know this is an EP but I still want to talk about it.  I only bought this recently and I really love it.  I had heard most of the songs already and no that I've heard them all I've really started to appreciate 'Put Up or Shut Up' as a CD.  I have a lot of love in particular for 'Lullabies' (which is a song I've loved from the first time I heard it) and 'Break out! Break Out!'.  
I think that it's really amazing to listen too and then compare to All Time Low's most recent work.  They've progressed so much but still have the same unique sound, this is something that I really love.


Pierce The Veil

Collide With The Sky
This album is so wonderful!
I bought this album in a set along with Pierce The Veil's DVD documentary 'This Is A Wasteland' (you can read about when I bought this here) and I think that the packaging that it comes in is so freaking beautiful, and so is the artwork in the booklet - I love the watercolours that have been used.
I think that the overall sound of this album is amazing.  I love how Pierce The Veil bring something completely different to post hardcore music, their music has such a unique sound and I feel that 'Collide With The Sky' really emphasises this. 
It's a really incredible album and I think it's really well put together, the track order is really well selected for this album.  Lyrically, this album is incredible, raw and heartfelt.  And instrumentally it's the same.  When listening to it you can hear but also feel how much has been put into this album.  When I fist listened to this album I was so excited, it was my first Pierce The Veil CD and I'm so glad that I bought it as I really love this album, it's beautiful.



Tonight Alive

The Other Side
This album!!  This is one of my favourite albums and it's even better that it's from one of my favourite bands.  I think this because I can relate to it so well lyrically and, I think anyone will find at least one song on this album that they can relate too lyrically (although there is only one or two 'love songs' on this album).
I've talked about this album quite a lot here on my blog, if you've been reading my blog for a while then you're probably sick fed up reading about what I think of 'The Other Side'.  I'm sorry but I'm going to have another excited babble about this album, although my babbling might actually be a little bit serious.
The first song I heard from this album (and actually the first song I heard by Tonight Alive) was 'Lonely Girl' because Chuck Comeau (the drummer from Simple Plan) tweeted the music video.  At first I hesitated about clicking the link but then I decided to give it a watch.
I soon found that I was playing 'Lonely Girl' on repeat for a good few hours.  Then those few hours turned into a few days and I knew I just had to listen to more from this band.
I only listened to a few of their other songs - the majority not actually from 'The Other Side' album - before I bought the album (you can read about when I bought the album here).

When I listened to this album for the first time I was blown away.  It's so clear how much emotion was put into the music (it's pretty overwhelming) and you can definitely hear how much the album means to Tonight Alive as a band.  I love how clear the emotion is not just vocally but also instrumentally, you can't always hear that with music but you can definitely hear that with this band.
When I saw Tonight Alive in concert (you can read about that here) the majority of the songs were from 'The Other Side' album.
Hearing these songs performed live really showed me how much I love this album, which is a lot more than I actually realised.  They are an incredible band to hear live and this album also shows that they're just as talented in the studio.



James Morrison

Songs For You, Truths For Me
This album actually belongs to someone in my family but I wanted to talk about it anyway as I'd love to say it's part of my personal collection.
This is such a beautiful album and I think that James Morrison is an extremely talented musician.  Lyrically this album is pretty emotional and I actually find some of the songs (such as 'Once When I Was Little' and 'Love Is Hard') quite thought provoking because of the lyrics. 
I don't really want to say anything else about this album because I personally feel that it's the sort of album you need to actually listen too in order to appreciate it because it really is wonderful.



Lawson

Chapman Square
This album is probably the first album that made me appreciate music made by an actual band who play their own instruments and write their own songs.
I have a lot of respect for Lawson, especially after seeing them in concert (you can read about that here) and after meeting them briefly last year (you can read a little bit about that here). 
This album is pretty heartfelt and that's definitely clear in the lyrics.  My two favourite songs from this album are 'Gone' and 'Learn To Love Again' as I think that they are both really good songs, not only lyrically but the dynamics of these songs instrumentally are really good. 
This album isn't one of my 'go to' albums for when I need something to listen too because I can't always relate to it lyrically.  But I do really love this album and it was really amazing to hear these songs performed live at the 'Everywhere We Go Tour' last year.



Ed Sheeran

+
Oh my goodness!  I really love this album, when I bought this album it was the only thing I would listen too for quite a while.
I have a lot of love for Ed Sheeran as a musician, I think his work - especially this album and his first EP's - is pretty incredible.  I love the mixture of songs on this album and how well it displays Ed Sheeran's talent as both a musician and a songwriter.
I have a lot of love in particular for 'Give Me Love/The Parting Glass'.  The album version is over 8 minutes long and I honesty don't think words can express how freaking incredible and powerful it is.  I also think that it's perfectly placed as the last track on the album and it sums up the album as well.
I feel the same with this album as I do with 'Songs For You, Truths For Me', it's the kind of album you have to listen too in order to appreciate it properly.


Fall Out Boy

Folie à Deux
'Folie a Deux' (which means 'A Madness Shared by Two' in English) is the only Fall Out Boy album which I personally own.  I don't want to talk about this album too much as I'm trying to write an album dissection post for the album.
I will say that instrumentally I really love it, there are some points when lyrically I'm not a fan but then are other points when I love the lyrics.  I adore the album artwork both on the cover and inside the booklet but, I do find it a little annoying that listeners aren't provided with the lyrics.  But at the same time is does seem like a 'Fall Out Boy thing' to do (anyone who's a fan of them will understand this).  I think that this album is put together really well and the overall sound is amazing.



I hope you've enjoyed reading about some of the albums that I own just now.  There are a lot more that I'd love to add to my collection (you can read about some of them here) including albums that haven't actually been released yet.
Let me kno in the comments if you have any of the same albums, as well as some of your favourites from your own collections, I'd love to hear from you all.


Carolyn
x


SHARE:
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig