Saturday, 8 November 2014

Is it really All About That Bass?


 
Hey everyone!
 
This week I wanted to talk to you all about the song 'All About That Bass' by Meghan Trainor.
I would just like to make it clear that in no way am I meaning to send out any hate or negativity with this post.
 
When I first heard about this song (I hadn't yet listened to it myself) I was really excited because it's the first song to enter the UK Official Singles Chart Top 40 based purely on streams, I still think this is really amazing.
I was then pretty excited as I'd been told that lyrically, it had a great message behind it.
In a way I feel that it has a positive message but at the same time I'm not sure if it does.
To be honest I'm quite confused about what the message of this song actually is.

 
 
It seems to be that in society today there is a large amount of pressure on both girls and boys to look a certain way.  This image for girls tends to be thin and to have clear skin (or to at least cover our spots and blemishes using makeup).  This image for boys tends to be muscular and 'fit'. 
What I like about this song is that it's saying it doesn't matter if you're a 'bigger' size.  The reason that I like this message is because I personally believe it, your jean size is not the most important thing about you.
 

But at the same time this also applies to those people who may be seen as 'smaller' sizes.  A lot of people don't realise that these people are also put under pressure by society and that they can also deal with harassment because of the way they look.  This is why I really hate the use of the term 'skinny bitches' in this song.  I hate it as a term full stop and I feel it's quite 'skinny shaming'.
 

 But at the same time I think some of the lyrics are really great such as
 
'I see the magazine workin' that Photoshop
We know that sh*t ain't real
C'mon now, make it stop'
 
and
 
'Cause every inch of you is perfect
From the bottom to the top'
 
 
So really my opinions on this song (lyrically) are mixed and I don't really know what to think about it.  But I am glad that it's spreading a better message than a lot of other chart songs and I do feel that it is quite 'body positive'.
You can read some more blog posts about this song here and here.  I found these posts pretty interesting and they have different views on the song.
 
Let me know in the comments what you all think of this song, I genuinely would love to find out other peoples opinions on the message behind this song.


 
Carolyn
x


p.s  I know that a few weeks ago I promised you all an album dissection post for 'Folie à Deux' by Fall Out Boy and I haven't forgotten about it - it's just taking me longer to write than I expected.  I'll try my best to have it posted soon.
SHARE:
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig