Monday, 4 May 2015

The Baking Diaries | Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes

 


 
Ever since I was little I've loved baking and cooking.  When I started college it took a back seat but, recently I've been enjoying baking on my day off (you may have seen some of the photos on my instagram). 
So, I thought I'd start a little series called The Baking Diaries to share some of my favourite recipes with you.
 
 
 
Last week I made Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes for the first time, the recipe I used is from the BBC Easy Cook magazine - a magazine that me and my mum love!
 
 
 
Ingredients
 
For the cakes:
200g butter
200g plain chocolate
200g light, soft brown sugar
2 eggs (beaten)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
250g self-raising flour
 
For the icing:
200g plain chocolate (yes, another 200g of chocolate!)
100ml double cream
50g icing sugar
Something to decorate the cakes with
 
 
 
Firstly you need to preheat your oven to 160 degrees (for a fan oven) and line your muffin tin with cases.  The recipe says it makes 12 but I ended up with 20 cupcakes altogether, so you may want to have some extra cases set out just in case!
 
 
Next you melt the butter, chocolate, sugar and 100ml of cold tap water in a pan, keep stirring it so the ingredients don't stick to the pan.
 
 
Leave this mixture to cool for 2 minutes.  While it is cooling beat the eggs together and then add them to the mixture along with the vanilla extract.
 
 
 
Measure out the flour into a large mixing bowl, add the chocolate mixture to the flour and then stir until it's smooth.  Divide the mixture into the cases until they're about 3/4 full. 
 
Bake them in the preheated oven.  The recipe recommends to bake them for 20-22 minutes although mine took a little longer than this.  Use a knife (or cake tester if you have one) and put it into the middle of one of your cupcakes, if it comes out clean then the cakes are ready.
 
While your cakes are cooling you can make your icing. 
 
For the icing, you firstly have to melt the chocolate (the recipe said to melt it in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water but, I was feeling pretty lazy so I cheated and melted it in the microwave!).
Then stir in the cream and sift in the icing sugar gradually. 
Seriously, sift in the icing sugar don't just pour it all in cause it'll be a little lumpy and more difficult to stir also, just pouring it in the bowl can sometimes make a cloudy mess in your kitchen (unfortunately I learnt this from experience after making my kitchen a bit of a mess when baking once and the entire worktop was covered in icing sugar).
 
 
 
 
Spread the icing onto the cakes which is easiest using a knife, spatula or if you're like me and your mum has an abundance of kitchen utensils, then that utensil in the kitchen drawer that you call 'the icing spreader thing' cause you don't what it's proper name is.
 
 
Then decorate with your choice of sweets and sprinkles.  As you can see below, I went with hundreds and thousands sprinkles, sugar stars and silver pearls.
 




 
 
I had a lot of fun making these cupcakes, the recipe was easy to follow and, they taste amazing!  Let me know in the comments what you think of the recipe, I'd love to hear from you.
 
Also, if you make them yourself then let me know and share your photos on Instagram, be sure to tag me @carolynssimplelife.
 
 
Carolyn
x
 
 

SHARE:
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig