Tuesday, 9 June 2015

Album Dissection: Future Hearts by All Time Low

 
 


Although it's only been just over a week since I last posted, it feels like so much longer.  This past week has been quite busy for me but now I have some time to get my head down and get back into my blogging game.
I've had this post sitting in my drafts for a while and today I finally got around to properly taking the time to sit down and write this post.

If you've been hanging around my blog for a while then you'll probably have figured out the I'm a pretty big fan of All Time Low.

So, it was probably quite predictable when they released their new album that I'd write a post about it, I hope you enjoy.
 

 
Artist:
All Time Low
 
 
Album:
Future Hearts 
(Hopeless Records Deluxe Edition)
 
 
Label:
Hopeless Records
 
 
Producer:
John Feldman
(Additional Production by Alex Gaskarth)
 
 
Released:
April 7th 2015
 
 
Track List:
1. Satellite
2. Kicking & Screaming
3. Something's Gotta Give
4. Kids In The Dark
5. Runaways
6. Missing You
7. Cinderblock Garden
8. Tidal Waves (Featuring Mark Hoppus)
9. Don't You Go
10. Bail Me Out (Featuring Joel Madden)
11. Dancing With A Wolf
12. The Edge Of Tonight
13. Old Scars / Future Hearts
 
 
Bonus Tracks:
14. Bottle And A Beat
15. Your Bed
16. Cinderblock Garden (Acoustic)






My Dissection (Track by track):


Satellite

I think Satellite is really good as an album opener.  It's very atmospheric and has an incredibly powerful build up in the third verse but, then it just ends!  I really don't understand what that's about but at the same time it makes complete sense to me, musically any way. 
I feel that since this song ends on such a high it creates a great set up for the following track, although there is some static effects which stop this lead on happening automatically but, I think this actually helps to give this song it's independence on the album which I think is really important.


Kicking & Screaming

I really love how this song displays All Time Low's talents as individual members but also as a group.  There's a strong emphasise on the 'punk' sound in this song which I like, it's overall sound is grittier than others on the album but it still has that pop feel to it as well.
Lyrically, I really like this song, especially the first stanza of the first verse and I feel the fact that it's repeated as the third verse adds a nice effect to the song lyrically.
Instrumentally I love the drums in this song, Rian Dawson never fails to impress me with his talent when it comes to percussion and this song is definitely no exception.

 
Something's Gotta Give

This song was the first release from the album and created a huge buzz and hype for new music from All Time Low.  I think it was a great choice as a first release from the album, the overall sound is very upbeat pop punk but, still has lyrics that are a little grittier that still fit into pop punk genre.
When this song was released I wrote a post about what I thought of it in quite a bit of detail, you can read that post by clicking here.

 
Kids In The Dark

Kids In The Dark is the second single from the Future Hearts album, and like with Something's Gotta Give I think it was a good choice of song to release before the full album was released.  I feel this song definitely has more of an emphasise on the pop side of All Time Low's music but I don't see that as a bad thing.
When this song was released I wrote a post about it for my A Spotlight On series which you can read by clicking here.

 
Runaways

Runaways was also released before the full album and out of all the songs that were released before the album, Runaways is probably my favourite.
Lyrically I really love this song and it vaguely reminds me of All Time Low's song Somewhere In Neverland from their previous studio album Don't Panic.
I also wrote a separate post where I talk about this song in a lot detail, if you'd like to read the post then you can do that by clicking here.

 
Missing You

How dare they, how dare they, how dare they!  This song is just so freaking emotional, forget pulling on my heart strings, they have literally ripped my heartstrings out my chest!
I feel as though this could be part 2 to their song Therapy.  This is the sort of song that is so filled with emotion that you're bound to get tearful at least once while listening too it.  It's definitely a song that a lot of their fans will feel a personal connection too and they most probably knew this while writing it. 
The main guitar part is played on an acoustic guitar which I think is very fitting for this song, and I think this allows them to do a lot with this song in a live setting as well.
Vocally, I really like the harmonies and how they're used sparingly, I think this helps to put emphasise on certain lyrics and parts of the song which I think is a really nice touch.
This song is raw and 'real' lyrically which I think is why there will be at least one part of this song that anyone who listens too it will be able to relate too.



 
Cinderblock Garden

Again, how dare they, how dare they, how dare they!
When I saw the track list for this album I saw the title for this song and got a gut feeling that I was going to really love this song and, my gut feeling was absolutely correct.
This song is just so beautiful!  It just makes me think of a fairy-tale and this is something that I really love.
I feel as though this song is a sort of prologue for Runaways, especially because of the lyrics.  I love the effects used on the vocals, especially at the beginning of this song and I really love the vocal harmonies that have been used. 
Instrumentally, I really love the lead guitar in this song, especially how well it works with the vocals and how they compliment each other.


 
Tidal Waves (Featuring Mark Hoppus)

When I heard that All Time Low had recorded a song with Mark Hoppus from Blink 182 I was pretty freaking excited. 
For those of you who aren't All Time Low fans I will cut it short for you, Blink 182 were one of the main influences for All Time Low to get together in the first place so, without Blink 182 there would be no All Time Low.  Therefore, I was very excited to find out that All Time Low had recorded a song with Mark Hoppus because he's in a band that are one of their biggest musical influences.
Also, it's Mark Hoppus from Blink 182, which in itself is a pretty big deal.
To be quite honest though this song is not what I expected it to be at all.  But then again I don't really know what I expected from their song with Mark Hoppus, maybe a bit of an 'older punk' sound to it?

But even though this song isn't what I thought it would be, I still really like it.
I'm a big fan of the lyrics, especially in the chorus and the third verse.  And instrumentally I like how they've made the acoustic guitar quite prominent. 
At first I wasn't a fan of Tidal Waves but I've grown to really love it and I think it's a great choice of song for Mark Hoppus to do guest vocals for, his voice fits in really well with the overall sound of the song.

 
Don't You Go

Don't You Go is fun, high energy, jokey lyrics and the sort of song that I expect from All Time Low. 
When I first listened to this song I wasn't really a fan, mainly because of the lyrics.  But this is the sort of the song that you can blast really loudly and just sing along too at the top of your lungs while dancing around your kitchen.  It's a fun song and this is probably one of the main things that I like about Don't You Go.

 
Bail Me Out (Featuring Joel Madden)

This song is not what I expected it to be.  When I first heard it I didn't like it as much as the others on the Future Hearts album.  But now I actually like it quite a lot and have gone through a few phases of playing it on repeat (and dancing around my kitchen but we won't talk too much about that).
Like with Tidal Waves, I had a vague idea of what to expect from this collaboration but the song that they've produced isn't what I thought it would be but, I don't see this as a bad thing.
This is a really fun song and I think that Joel Madden's vocals work really well with Alex Gaskarth's and I really like how sharp and clipped the vocals are during the chorus, I think it works really well with the instrumental parts.  

 
Dancing With A Wolf

The overall sound of this song reminds of the overall sound of Kicking & Screaming which I love.  Dancing With Wolf reminds me of All Time Low's previous album Don't Panic but I do feel it fits in better with the Future Hearts album. 
Instrumentally I really love this song and think that the bass line works really well with the other instrumental parts of this song really well throughout the song.
Compared to other songs on the album, Dancing With A Wolf has a grittier and darker sound to it, both instrumentally and lyrically which I really like.

 
The Edge Of Tonight

When I first passed my driving test this was the only song I played when I was driving home from work.  It's atmospheric and emotional and I think this is really heard through the vocals in the song.
Again, hats off to Rian Dawson for always amazing with his percussion skills, the drums in this entire album song are amazing.
I absolutely love how throughout the entirety of the song you can hear absolutely everything being out into the vocals, which in turn helps to really bring out the emotion in the lyrics.

 
Old Scars / Future Hearts

For me the sound of this song is like the overall sound of the Future Hearts album meets the overall sound of All Time Low's album Don't Panic.  And I absolutely love it.
When I first heard it, I thought the effect used at the very beginning reminded of their song Weightless which confused me a little but it fits in really well with the intro of this song.
I think this is a brilliant song to close the album with, it really sums up the overall sound of this album and has a good balance of pop and punk.  Although I feel it does have a grittier sound to it which I love. 





 
Bonus Tracks:

 
Bottle And A Beat

My favourite thing about this song is probably the percussion.  This is the sort of song that I'd group with the likes of Don't You Go or Bail Me Out.  I started of not being a fan of this song but after giving it a few listens I've started to like this song.  It's a fun, up beat, dance-around-in-your-head-whenever-you-hear-it kind of song.
This song reminds me of their Nothing Personal album (you can read my album dissection for All Time Low's Nothing Personal album by clicking here) but I feel the instrumentals during the chorus give it a solid grounding for belonging on the Future Hearts album.

 
Your Bed

This is probably my least favourite track on the album, mainly because of the lyrics in the chorus, they just put me off. 
Lyrically, I really like the verses in this song but, the chorus has just put me off this song altogether.  I haven't really listened to this song much since I got the album but, maybe if I give it more of a chance I could end up liking it.


Cinderblock Garden (Acoustic)

And again, how dare they, how dare they, how dare they!
They just had to take one of my favourite songs from the song that already makes me emotional, and they just had to record an acoustic version and they just had to put it on they same album.  They just had to!
I already find Cinderblock Garden an extremely beautiful song but this acoustic for me just highlights how beautiful it is.  I absolutely love the vocal harmonies in this acoustic, and I really love when you can hear that little bit of extra emotion being put into the vocals.
I think adding a more prominent piano part for the acoustic was a great decision, it really helps to compliments the percussion in this version and I love it.



Overall I absolutely love this album.  I feel it's All Time Low's Nothing Personal album meets their Don't Panic! album which I think is an incredible sound.  But at the same time this album has it's own unique collection of songs that I think really show of all the musical sides of All Time Low.

I think the artwork for this album is really beautiful.  I love that the photography is black and white but that the future hearts symbol stands out in red but has a fade so that it doesn't draw away from the photography.


I hope you've enjoyed reading my album dissection for Future Hearts by All Time Low, let me know in the comments what you think of the album cause I'd love to hear from you.

Buy a physical copy of the album: http://hopelessrecords.com/futurehearts
Buy the album on iTunes: http://smarturl.it/futurehearts



Carolyn
x
 
 

SHARE:
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig