Tuesday, 12 January 2016

The Baking Diaries | Tanya Burr's Lemon Drizzle Loaf

 
 
 
 
 
So, after posting my first baking post quite a while ago, I finally thought it was time to share another recipe with you all. 
 
I am a very big fan of Tanya Burr's blog and YouTube channel so when she released her first book, Love Tanya, I was very excited, and I loved the baking section of the book.  I'm even more excited that she'll be releasing a baking book later on this year.   The first recipe that I tried from Tanya's book was her Lemon Drizzle Loaf, which I actually made quite a while ago, I'm just being a really bad blogger and only sharing it with you now. 
 
 
Ingredients:
 
 
For the cake:
 
3 eggs
170g self-raising flour
170g caster sugar
170g butter
1 teaspoon baking powder
Zest of 2 lemons
 
 
For the icing:
 
150g of icing sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
 
 
 
Firstly you need to preheat your oven to 180 degrees (for a fan oven).  You then need to measure out and mix together the eggs, flour, sugar, baking powder and the zest of the two lemons into a mixing bowl. 
A tip which my mum gave me is to cut up the butter into small cubes and melt it in the microwave for 20 seconds to make it easier to mix together with the other ingredients.
 
 
 
 
You then need to line your baking tin with butter, I also cut out a piece of greaseproof paper for the bottom of my tin to be on the safe side, or you could use a non-stick tin.  Pour your mixture into the baking tin and put into the oven for 35-45 minutes. 
 
To test if your cake is ready, slide a knife into its centre and if the knife comes out clean then your cake is ready.  Also, you could gently press on the top of your cake and if it rises back up then it's ready to be taken out the oven. 
 
 
To make the icing mix together the icing sugar and the juice from the two lemons, stir it together so that it has a watery consistency. 
 
While the loaf is still warm use a skewer to poke holes all over the loaf and then pour the icing over it so it can soak into the loaf. 
 
 
 
My loaf came out quite crispy at the edges, so the next time I'll need to bring it out a little earlier than the full 45 minutes to prevent it from burning at the edges again.
 
 
 
 
 And there you have it, my first attempt at a Tanya Burr lemon drizzle loaf!  Let me know in the comments what you think of this recipe, I'd love to hear if you've baked a lemon drizzle loaf before. 
 
Carolyn
x
 
 
 
SHARE:
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig