Saturday, 27 February 2016

The Baking Diaries | Tanya Burr's Oreo Cupcakes


 


I've recently been doing a lot of baking to share with the people that I work with, and also because I just really enjoy baking.  I've recently baked Tanya Burr's Oreo Cupcakes a couple of times, I really enjoy making them and thought I would share the recipe with all of you for my Baking Diaries series


Ingredients:


For the cupcakes:

175g butter
165g caster sugar
3 eggs
40g drinking chocolate
125g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 packet of Oreos


For the frosting: 

100g butter
200g icing sugar
2 packets of Oreos



The first thing you need to do is to preheat your oven to 180 degrees (for a fan oven) and then place your cupcake cases into your cupcake tin.
Measure out your butter and caster sugar and then mix them together in a large mixing bowl until you have a smooth, creamy mixture.   When adding the butter to the mixing bowl I cut into small cubes to make it easier to mix with the dry ingredients.

Then crack the three eggs into the butter and sugar mixture and mix them in.  Next, measure out your drinking chocolate (the original recipe uses cocoa powder but I prefer Cadbury's drinking chocolate), self raising flour and baking powder then gradually fold them into the mixture.  

You then need to place an Oreo in the bottom of each cup cake case before diving the mixture evenly into the cases.  Something I find useful is using an ice cream scoop to place the mixture into the cases, this means the cakes are even and turn out a nice shape.

Then place the cupcakes in the oven for 14-16 minutes, both times I have made these I've left mine in for 16 minutes as they weren't ready after the 14 minutes.



 Once the cupcakes are baked take them out the oven and you can make the frosting while they are cooling.

To make the frosting mix together the butter and the icing sugar, again I find it easier to mix by cutting the butter into small cubes when I add it to the mixing bowl.  I also find it a lot less messy and easier to mix if I add the icing sugar gradually while mixing it together with the butter.

Tanya's recipe says to crush up half a packet of Oreos into crumbs then add them to the buttercream icing, but both times I've used almost the entire packet and I find this a better amount.
Then you spread the icing onto the buns, I use a table spoon to divide the frosting onto the cupcakes and then a butter knife to spread the mixture on.
To finish of the cupcakes, break the remaining Oreos in half and place them on top of the cupcake for decoration.



I love making these cupcakes and I've had really good feedback (pun intended!) both times I've baked them.
Let me know in the comments if you've tried this recipe as well, I'd love to hear how you got on!


Carolyn
x


SHARE:
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig