Friday, 9 December 2016

Apple & Raspberry Crumble Tray Bake | The Baking Diaries



One of my favourite things about winter is that I can cosy up in the kitchen, blast my Christmas music and bake to my hearts content.  I spent the best part of last Saturday in the kitchen making some tray bakes for my friends baptism last weekend.  They were both new recipes that I haven't tried before so I thought I'd share one of them with you.  The BBC are my go to for recipes, I will happily spend a few hours pouring over their easy cook and good food magazines. 

Apple crumble is one of my favourite desserts, my mum made it a lot when I was little and has made a few variations of it which I love to try.  When I found the BBC tray bake version of apple and raspberry crumble I knew I wanted to give it a go, but with a few little changes. 




Ingredients for the base:

1 bramley apple, peeled & diced
100g of butter (softened)
175g of golden caster sugar
1 egg
280g of self raising flour
125ml of milk
200g of fresh raspberries

Ingredients for the crumble:

50g of butter (diced)
85g of self-raising flour
100g of golden caster sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
3tbsp of oats
1tsp of cinnamon





Method:

1. First thing you need to do is pre-heat your oven to 180C (or gas mark 4) and make sure you have a shelf on the second level of your oven.  Then grease a 20cm x 30xm baking tin and line it with greaseproof paper.  I find it helps to have little bit of paper over the top of the tin and then cut down to the corners so taking it out the tin is easier. 

2.  Peel and core your bramley apple, then dice it into small cubes.  Add them to a saucepan with about two tablespoons of water, and a sprinkling of brown sugar.  Cook for a few minutes while stirring occasionally. 

3.  Whilst the apples are cooking you can make your crumble topping.  Dice your butter into small cubes and rub in the flour.  Stir in the golden caster sugar, lemon zest, cinnamon and 1 table spoon of the oats. 

4.  Set aside your crumble mixture so you can make your base.  In a separate bowl cream together your butter and sugar till it's light and fluffy in consistency.  Add the egg to the mixture and beat in well.  Then stir in the milk and flour until all the ingredients are well combined.  Your mixture should resemble a doughy cake mixture.

5.  Slowly stir in the apples to your base mixture ensuring that they're spread evenly amongst the mixture.  Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tray and then place the raspberries evenly over the mixture.

6.  Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the tray bake and then sprinkle over the other 2 tablespoons of oats.  Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until it is crisp and golden on the top. 

7.  Leave in the tray, on a cooling rack and cut whilst slightly warm.  Once your tray bake has cooled you can remove it from the tray for serving. 



I was so pleased with how this tray bake turned out, especially for a recipe I hadn't tried before.  A cake base with a crumble topping is something I hadn't heard of before, but it's so amazing and definitely something I want to try it with different recipes.


Carolyn 
x




SHARE:
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig