Sunday, 22 January 2017

Kinder Chocolate & Nutella Cupcakes | The Baking Diaries




Sunday afternoons have often been a time when I love to bake.  When I was younger I would spend an afternoon in my mum and dad's kitchen with a new recipe and would bake away to my hearts content.  Baking is a hobby of mine but since it's become a part of my job I don't do as often Id like.
But this afternoon I decided to combine a recipe I found for Kinder Chocolate cupcakes from Musings & More and I idea that I had for Nutella cupcakes to create this recipe. 




Ingredients or the cupcakes:

175g of softened unsalted butter
175g light brown sugar
3 eggs
140g self-raising flour
35g cocoa powder


Ingredients for the secret filling:

400g jar of Nutella
100g of Kinder Chocolate bars


Ingredients for the buttercream:

150g softened unsalted butter
300g icing sugar
100g of Kinder chocolate bars
3 bars of Kinder Bueno




Method:

1.  Preheat your oven to 180C (fan oven) and line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper cupcake cases.

2.  Cream together the butter and brown sugar until the mixture is smooth. 


3.  Crack the eggs into a plastic jug and whisk them together.  Then add these to your creamed butter and sugar.

4.  Sift the self-raising and cocoa powder into the mixture and mix together until smooth.




5.  Then divide your mixture amongst the paper cases.  I like to use a medium sized ice cream scoop to do this so that there's even mixture in each case, also this means the mixture is in a nice shape when it goes into the case as well.  If you don't have an ice cream scoop then you can use two dessert spoons to divide your mixture.

6.  Let these bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until a you insert a skewer into the cakes and it comes out clean. 

7.  While your cakes are baking you can make your Nutella filling.  For this I slightly heated a jar of Nutella then piped a swirl of Nutella onto a block of Kinder chocolate.  Then leave them to refrigerate until you are ready to add them to your cupcakes. 





8. It's now time to make your icing! Firstly you need to melt your Kinder chocolate bars.  I just melted mine in the microwave whilst stirring it regularly.  You could also heat it in a glass bowl over a pan of boiling water on the hob. 

9.  In a separate bowl beat together your butter and icing sugar.  Once the mixture resembles breadcrumbs and a couple of dessert spoons of Nutella and continue to mix.

10.  Beat the melted Kinder chocolate into the buttercream mixture.  Continue to add Nutella to the icing until it is of a smooth but not runny consistency. 





11.  Fill a piping bag with your icing and using a star nozzle pipe a small amount of icing onto the middle of each cupcake.  Then firmly place your Nutella chocolate piece onto the icing. 

12.  Then pipe your Kinder chocolate icing around your Nutella.  I chose to leave a small amount of the Nutella showing at the top, but you can cover it completely if you would like.

13.  Finally, break up your Kinder Bueno bars and place a piece of each bar into the side of your cupcake, or you could crumble the pieces over the top. 









I hope you enjoyed this recipe, I had a lot of fun making them and I'll probably be making them again soon.  I want to say a huge thank you to my friend Finlay for taking all the photos for me (you can check out his chocolate business by clicking here). 

If you have any ideas for what cupcakes I should try baking next let me know in the comments, I'd love to hear from you.


Carolyn 
x

SHARE:
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig