Friday, 7 July 2017

Strawberries & Cream Cupcakes | Wimbledon Baking



I'm not usually one for watching sports on TV, it's just something I'm not that interested in.  But almost every year without fail I find myself becoming quite invested in watching Wimbledon.  I've kept it no secret on my blog that I love to bake, I'm quite happy to blast my music and potter about in the kitchen for an hour or two. 

So, when my mum asked me to bake some cupcakes for a family meal this week, I immediately said yes and started looking for a recipe to use.  Seen as we are more than likely to watch some of Wimbledon together, I figured adapting Jane's recipe for strawberry cupcakes would be perfect, of course I wanted to share the recipe with all of you. 


Ingredients for the cupcakes:

150g of unsalted butter (softened)
150g of castor sugar
3 medium eggs
150g of self raising flour
150g of seedless strawberry jam


Ingredients for the frosting:

150g of unsalted butter (softened)
350g of icing sugar
2-4tbsp of double cream
1/2tsp of vanilla extract


Ingredients for the decoration:

12 fresh strawberries
Strawberry sauce



Method:

1.  First, you need to preheat your oven to 170°C.  Then line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases. 

2.  Then cream together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  It's best to use either a Kitchen Aid or an electric hand whisk to do this. 

3.  Next, beat your eggs in a separate bowl and measure out your flour.  Add these ingredients to your butter and sugar mixture, then beat on a medium speed until combined. 

4.  Measure out your jam and add this to your cake batter.  Beat the mixture until the jam is fully incorporated and your mixture is smooth. 

5.  Divide your mixture evenly amongst your cupcake cases.  Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes, or until a cake skewer comes out clean and they are golden brown on top. 

6.  Place your cakes are on a cooling rack and whilst they are cooling you can make a start on the icing, or washing the dishes! 

7.  Measure out your butter and beat it on a high speed until it is smooth and almost white. 

8.  Sieve your icing sugar into the butter a little at a time and beat in gradually.  Make sure your icing sugar is beaten in well before adding the next amount. 

9.  Continue to beat the frosting, gradually adding the vanilla, then the cream a tablespoon at a time.  Keep adding the cream until your icing is at the desired consistency.  You don't want your icing to be too runny that it won't set, but also too solid that it won't pipe.  I found that 4 tablespoons of double cream was a good amount.

10.  Now for my favourite part, time to ice the cupcakes!  I used a plastic disposable piping bag and a large, star tip nozzle to pipe a swirl around the cupcake, then bringing it into the centre with a flick at the end. 

11.  To decorate, loosely drizzle the strawberry sauce over the cupcakes and then place a fresh strawberry in the middle. 



These cupcakes were both super easy to make, and really fun to make!  And it was fun to add the Wimbledon tradition of strawberries and cream into my summer baking.  You can have a look through my other baking recipes by clicking here


Carolyn 
x



SHARE:
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig